Consecutive Award Winner Kerala Tourism Award winner for
"The Best Inbound Tour Operator"

Permit to India

How to Gain Access to Restricted Areas in India?
According to the Protected Areas Act for foreigners, the foreigners visiting India need to acquire PAP or Protected Area Permit in order to gain access to some of the areas in this country. Apart from the necessity of an Indian visa, the permit is an additional requirement. This type of restriction has been implemented because of security purpose.

There are some areas within the country which are restricted for Indian citizens too. For citizens who do not reside in that particular area, the ILP or Inner Line Permit is required. Because it is within the Indian boundaries, getting an ILP is comparatively easier. But ILP is not applicable to OCI holders, PIO card holders and NRIs (Indians who are staying away from the country for a period exceeding 6 months). In that case, you need a usual PAP.

Although many restricted regions are away from the normal traveler spots, certain tourists are attracted to the restricted areas owing to beautiful landscapes and fascinating sites. Currently, PAP is no longer applicable for visiting Tripura, Meghalaya, Assam and the Darjeeling region in West Bengal.
Prerequisites and Concerns
As a tourist, it is essential for you to travel in a group of minimum 4 individuals. In certain areas of Nagaland, this limitation does not hold true for married pairs. It is advisable that an authenticated travel agent should accompany the tourists. Some restricted places have specific entrance and departure spots. Again, certain areas are not at all accessible to foreigners. The span of a PAP is 10 days with an extension of 7 days. The Ministry of Home Affairs mainly issues the PAP but it can also be issued by overseas Indian missions, FRROs and some offices within the state in question. However, if you are a citizen of Myanmar, China, Bangladesh or Pakistan, the PAP will be issued to you solely at the consent of the Ministry of Home Affairs.

UFor maintaining the security and conserving the culture of the concerned region, foreigners are barred from permanently inhabiting the restricted places. The same is true for persons originally from India, but non-residents now.
Where Do You Need to Possess a Permit?

Read through to gain information about some of the main restricted areas requiring permit. There are specific authorities to issue permit in each area.


Uttaranchal: Main restricted areas are Nanda Devi and Niti Ghati. MHA and Uttaranchal government can issue permit.


Sikkim: Gangtok and Zongri are partially restricted. Permit issuers include MHA and FRROs amongst others.


Rajasthan: The region west of NH 15 serving as India-Pakistan border is restricted. MHA and DM can issue permit.


Nagaland: Kohima and Dimapur are two restricted places. MHA, FRROs and some other authorities can issue permit.


Mizoram: Protected regions are Aizawl, Thingdawl and Vairangte. FRROs and Mizoram government are two of the permit issuers.


Manipur: Imphal and Lohtak Lake are two main restricted areas. Some permit issuers include overseas Indian missions, MHA and FRROs.


Lakshadweep Islands: The restricted places are Bangaram and Suheli Islands. Lakshadweep Administration can grant permission.


Kashmir: Nyona, Nubra and Khaltse are the restricted sub-divisions. You can get PAP from District Magistrates and MHA.


Himachal Pradesh: Poo and Morang are mainly restricted. MHA, ITBP and others can grant access.


Arunachal Pradesh: Itanagar and Ahong are two of the restricted regions. Overseas Indian missions, FRROs, State government can issue permit.


Andaman & Nicobar Islands: Port Blair and Havelock Island are two of the numerous restricted regions. MHA and FRROs are the main permit issuing authorities.


You won’t be charged anything for a PAP. However, do not confuse restricted areas with dangerous areas. It is not necessary that a restricted area would be a dangerous area and vice-versa.